Sunday, March 19, 2017


Carbury 0-15 St Laurences 1-7

Carbury totally dominated the Aldridge Cup final and ran out comfortable winners against St Laurences in St Conleths Park.

Carbury beat St Laurences in the 2017 Aldridge Cup final

Now under the management of Sean McLoughlin, they continued their good early season form and took a grip of the game from the very start.

With Eoghan O’Flaherty showing his usual class, they raced into a 0-9 to 0-1 lead by the 26th minute. O’Flaherty scored three of those and he was ably assisted by three points from Stephen McGlynn and further scores from wing forward pair Dale Redmond and Mickey Kelly.

St Laurences pulled a goal back in the 28th minute when Karl O’Brien forced the ball home from close range after Padraig O’Neill’s shot had dropped short but Carbury were full value for their 0-10 to 1-1 lead at the half time break.

Any hope that St Laurences had of getting back into the game in the second half suffered a major blow in the 39th minute when Tommy O’Neill was shown a black card for a foul on Morgan O’Flaherty.

For there on in there was only ever going to be one winner, although St Laurences wing forward Jason McHugh did score an excellent point on the run in the 45th minute.

Carbury’s day didn’t end positively though and they will hope that Eoghan O’Flaherty can recover from the late injury that forced him out of the game in time for their first league game against Athy next week.

Carbury: Wayne Cummins; Kevin O’Neill, Willie Groome, Stephen McKeon, Danny Boyle, Morgan O’Flaherty, Adrian Crinnigan; Seanie Moore 0-1, Alan Kearney; Mickey Kelly 0-1, Eoghan O’Flaherty 0-7 (6fs), Dale Redmond 0-1, Andy Dermody 0-1, Terry Rossiter, Stephen McGlynn 0-3. Subs: Colm Kearney for Redmond, 50; Garry Mangan for Crinnigan, 54; Sean Costello for Kearney, 57; Shaun Kelly 0-1 for E O’Flaherty, 58

St Laurences: Shane Connolly; Mark Lawler, Niall Clynch, David O’Driscoll, Mark Finnegan, Tommy O’Neill, Steve Mann; Mark Glynn, Padraig O’Neill 0-3 (2fs); Jason McHugh 0-1, Shaun Fahey 0-1f, Karl O’Brien 1-0, Bart Blanchfield, Padraig Fogarty 0-1, Jack Lawlor. Subs: Aaron Gorman for Finnegan, 18; Darragh Miley for T O’Neill, 39 BC; Shane Miley for Blanchfield, 47; Stephen Murphy 0-1 for Lawlor, 47; Adam Stynes for Gorman, 55

Referee: Fergus Devereux Jnr

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 045 432147

More Kildare Sport

Similar Articles

Flynn to miss league campaign