Tuesday, July 04, 2017

CARBURY scored the last 1-5 of the game to beat St Laurences 1-19 to 2-11 in the final round of the MD Sports Senior Football League Division 1 to make sure of a top four finish.

Shaun Fahey (right) scored his team’s first goal for St Laurences against Carbury tonight but it wasn’t enough to inspire them to a win
Photo : Piotr Kwasnik

Laurences went into the game with a chance of making the top four themselves and were the better side over the course of the first 20 minutes. They had scored the first three points of the game and it was only when the three O’Flaherty brothers, Brian, Morgan and Eoghan scored successive points that Carbury went ahead for the first time with two minutes left in the first half.

Carbury led 0-10 to 0-8 at half time but Laurences made a blistering start to the second period. Paudi O’Neill scored a free and then Shaun Fahey grabbed the first goal of the game in the 33rd minute after Brendan Gorman’s pass. O’Neill then added a further point to push Laurences three clear.

The home side answered back with two points but Laurences grabbed a second goal through Stephen Murphy in the 39th minute to make it 2-10 to 0-12 after a move started by the impressive Mark Glynn in midfield.

Again Carbury answered by scoring the next two points but the crucial moment in the game came in the 43rd minute. A good Laurences move left Tommy O’Neill in a great position but rather than shooting himself, he passed off to Fahey and his shot was then pushed over the bar by Declan Conroy. That made the score 2-11 to 0-14 but it really should have been a goal, and it turned out to be Gavin Wynne’s team final score of the game.

Led by the brilliant Eoghan O’Flaherty, Carbury dominated the final quarter. The former Kildare man superbly found the top corner of the Laurences net in the 48th minute. He kicked a couple of lovely scores in the closing stages and finished the game with 1-8. Terry Rossiter’s five point contribution from play was also important in the win.

Carbury will now play Moorefield in the semi-final after a 1-25 to 0-7 win over already relegated Clogherinkoe clinched top spot for the Newbridge team. Naas missed out on the chance to finish top when a last minute goal by Alan Smith meant they lost out to Sarsfields.

Naas finished in second place and third placed Celbridge also lost in the final round, 1-15 to 1-9 to Athy.

The results saw Moorefield finish top on 16 points with Naas, Celbridge and Carbury all tied on 14 points. Confey and Athy on 13 points finished just outside the semi final places, with Sarsfields one point further back.

There was also excitement at the bottom of the table. Raheens met Leixlip in a game with both teams still unsure of their status for next year. A last gasp point for Raheens secured the draw they needed to ensure their survival but left Leixlip anxiously checking scores elsewhere.

A Castledermot win away to Confey would have sent Leixlip down but as it turned out, Confey did their cross town rivals a huge favour with a one point win that relegates Castledermot to Division 2 for next season.


MD Sports SFL Div 1 final round results:

Confey 1-13 Castledermot 2-9

Athy 1-15 Celbridge 1-9

Carbury 1-19 St Laurences 2-11

Moorefield 1-25 Clogherinkoe 0-7

Raheens 1-11 Leixlip 0-14

Sarsfields 3-17 Naas 2-17


Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 045 432147

More Kildare Sport

Similar Articles

Flynn to miss league campaign