Saturday, July 15, 2017

LEINSTER finals between Kildare and Dublin have thrown up some truly classic matches. GER MCNALLY dipped into the archives to have a look back at the last five provincial finals between the pair.


2009 – DUBLIN 2-15 KILDARE 0-18

Brilliant Brogan the difference as Kildare fail to make numerical advantage count

A bloodied, battered and bandaged Johnny Doyle kicks a point for Kildare during the 2009 final
Photo: ©INPHO/Donall Farmer

AN epic encounter in front of a near capacity Croke Park but unfortunately it ended in more heartbreak for Kildare.

In their second year under the management of Kieran McGeeney, the Kildare team were still probably 12 months away from reaching their peak under the Armagh man but this performance hinted at the team that they could become. In many ways, though, the game summed up the nearly, almost, but not quite, McGeeney tenure.

The game started badly for Kildare when Dublin made a blistering start and scored 1-3 inside the four minutes, Barry Cahill getting the goal.

The introduction of Andrew McLoughlin helped steady the Kildare defence though and shortly after Ger Brennan was sent off for striking Ken Donnelly in the 19th minute, Kildare were back on level terms.

A Jason Sherlock goal against the run of play in the 25th minute kept Dublin in touch but with Dermot Earley, in his All-Star year, controlling midfield Kildare were full value for the 0-12 to 2-5 lead at half time.

The introduction of Ciaran Whelan massively helped Dublin in the middle third, while Kildare had to do without talisman Johnny Doyle between the 45th and 55th minutes as he was off the field being treated for a blood injury following a clash of heads with Denis Bastick.

Rob Kelly pulled Kildare level in the 61st minute but Bernard Brogan scored five points from the 63rd minute to the end of the game. Kildare were still level with two minutes to play but Brogan was unstoppable in those crucial closing moments and pulled Dublin clear.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; D Henry, D Bastick, P Andrews, P Griffin, G Brennan, B Cahill 1-1; R McConnell, D Magee; P Flynn, A Brogan 0-2 , D Connolly, C Keaney 0-3 (2fs), B Brogan 0-7 (2fs), J Sherlock 1-1. Subs: B Cullen for Connolly, 24; C Whelan 0-1 for Magee, h/t; T Quinn for Sherlock, 51; S Ryan for McConnell, 56; P Burke for Flynn, 65.

KILDARE: T Corley; E Bolton, M Foley, H McGrillen, M O’Flaherty, B Flanagan, M Conway 0-2; D Earley 0-2, D Flynn; J Kavanagh 0-2, P O’Neill 0-2, R Sweeney 0-2, A Smith 0-2, K Donnelly 0-3, J Doyle 0-2. Subs: A McLoughlin for McGrillen, 15; R Kelly 0-1 for Flynn, 49; E Callaghan for Donnelly, 55; G White for O’Neill, 56; K Ennis for Kavanagh.

REFEREE: Pat McEnaney (Monaghan).



2002 – DUBLIN 2-13 KILDARE 2-11

Dublin sucker punch Kildare with quickfire brace of second half goals

Tadhg Fennin celebrates scoring his second goal in the 2002 final but it wasn’t to be Kildare’s day
Photo: ©INPHO/Morgan Treacy

IN 2002, it was Dublin’s turn to score two quickfire goals to break the hearts of the opposition.

In front of almost 80,000 people Dublin had started well, scoring the first three points, and by the 25th minute led 0-7 to 0-3. Two Johnny Doyle points got Kildare back in it though and then the first Tadhg Fennin goal of the afternoon, in the 28th minute, put Kildare ahead of the first time.

By the time of Fennin’s second goal in the 45th minute to put Kildare a point ahead, supporters were dreaming of more glory.

Two minutes later Kildare lost the influential Damien Hendy from their defence through injury  but with 15 minutes to go they were ahead by two points.

Then came those heartbreaking couple of minutes. Firstly, Alan Brogan pounced in the 56th minute to score from close range, then a minute later Ray Cosgrove again punished the Kildare defence.

Unlike a couple of years earlier, the team that conceded the two goals in quick succession didn’t fold and Kildare kept going right to the end but when Paddy Murray’s shot five minutes into injury time went over the bar rather than under the game was up.

DUBLIN: S Cluxton; B Cahill, P Christie 0-1, C Goggins, P Casey, P Andrews, P Curran; C Whelan 0-1, D Homan; C Moran, S Ryan, S Connell 0-2, A Brogan 1-2, R Cosgrove 1-4 (2fs), J McNally 0-3 (1’45). Subs: D Magee for Curran, 41; J Sherlock for Connell, 55; D Farrell for McNally, 58; D Henry for Homan, 60.

KILDARE: Edna Murphy; B Lacey, P Mullarkey, K Doyle, K Duane, D Hendy, A Rainbow; K Brennan, D Earley; E McCormack, K O’Dwyer 0-1, R Sweeney, T Fennin 2-2, M Lynch, J Doyle 0-7 (5fs). Subs: G Ryan for Hendy, 48; P Murray 0-1 for O’Dwyer; S MacKenzie-Smith for Lynch, 66; T Harris for Duane, 68.

REFEREE: Michael Collins (Cork).



2000 – KILDARE 2-11 DUBLIN 0-12

Earley and Fennin turn final on its head with early second half goals

Dermot Earley celebrates scoring his goal in the first minute of the second half of the 2000 final replay
Photo: ©INPHO/Patrick Bolger

THE glory days of 1998 are rightly remembered as among the very best in the history of  Kildare GAA after ending such a drought without silverware but has there has ever been a sweeter win than the 2000 Leinster final replay?

Dublin were lucky to get a second bite of the cheery after Collie Moran’s late point earned them a 0-14 all draw in the first game but it looked like Dublin had made amends in the first half of the replay.

Tommy Carr’s side led by 0-11 to 0-5 at half time but in truth the lead should have been much greater against a Kildare side well off the pace.

So poor were Kildare that it inspired Pat Spillane’s now infamous rant at half time on RTE. He labelled Kildare ‘a woeful and inept opposition’ and criticised the Kildare forward line for not scoring from play.

All that changed in a glorious 90 second spell at the start of the second half that will be in the last thoughts of many Kildare supporters as they pass on to their eternal reward. Only 27 seconds of the second half had passed when Padraig Brennan slipped a pass to his Sarsfields clubmate Dermot Earley who then fired underneath the body of David Byrne in the Dublin goal.

Just a minute later, Martin Lynch and Willie McCreery combined to play the ball into Bryan Murphy. He neatly pirouetted away from Byrne before teeing the ball up to Tadhg Fennin who then gleefully slammed the ball into the Hill 16 net.

Those wearing white in the crowd of just over 50,000 exploded with unconfined joy. The goals hadn’t just brought Kildare back level but they also broke the spirit of the Dubs. They scored just one point in the second half while Kildare added six points to those two dramatic goals.

Glenn Ryan was presented with the trophy on the pitch in Croke Park to lift the Leinster title for the second time in three years – but no Kildare man has done it since.

KILDARE: C Byrne; K Doyle, R Quinn, B Lacey, J Finn, G Ryan, A Rainbow; M Lynch 0-1, W McCreery 0-2; E McCormack, J Doyle 0-2fs, D Earley 1-0, P Brennan 0-5 (4fs), R Sweeney, T Fennin 1-0. Subs: K O’Dywer for McCormack, 21; B Murphy 0-1 for Sweeney, h/t; D Hughes for Finn, 60.

DUBLIN:  D Byrne; S Ryan, P Christie, C Goggins, P Curran, J McGee, P Andrews, B Stynes 0-1f, C Whelan 0-2; S Connell, C Moran 0-3, J Gavin 0-2fs, D Farrell 0-2, J Sherlock 0-1, V Murphy 0-1f. Subs: E Sheehy for Connell, 42; D Homan for Gavin, 52; T Lynch for Ryan 60; S McCarthy for Murphy, 65.

REFEREE: Pat McEnaney (Monaghan)



1993 – DUBLIN 0-11 KILDARE 0-7

Dublin run out easy winners following dismal Kildare display

Niall Buckley tackles Keith Barr during the 1993 final
Photo: ©INPHO

12 months on from the 1992 defeat came an even more disheartening loss for Kildare at the hands from Dublin.

Testing weather conditions made it difficult for both teams but at 0-3 to 0-2 behind at the half time break, Kildare were in with a very good chance of ending their long wait for a Leinster title.

It seemed that everything was set for Kildare to tear into the Dubs going into the second half but instead the opposite happened, Dublin scored six points in a row at the start of the second half to move 0-9 to 0-2 ahead and the game was as good as done.

Only the sending off of Vinny Murphy 15 minutes from the end gave Kildare renewed hope. Successive points from Niall Buckley, Declan Kerrigan and Johnny McDonald brought Kildare to within three points but Johnny Barr came off the bench to kick the insurance score and retain the title for Dublin.

DUBLIN: J O’Leary; C Walsh, D Deasy, P Moran, P Curran, K Barr, P O’Neill; J Sheedy, P Bealin 0-1; E Heery, D Farrell 0-1, P Gilroy 0-1, J Gavin, V Murphy 0-1, C Redmond 0-5 (3fs, 1’45). Subs: M Galvin 0-1 for Gavin, J Barr 0-1 for Galvin, 59.

KILDARE: C Byrne;  S Dowling, D Dalton, N Donlon, D O’Connell, G Ryan, B Fahy; M Lynch, S McGovern; D Doyle, N Buckley, A Rainbow, P McLoughlin, J McDonald, L Miley. Subs: D Kerrigan for Miley, 47; T Harris for Doyle, 58.

REFEREE: Tommy McDermott (Cavan).




1992 – DUBLIN 1-13 KILDARE 0-10

Kildare improve in the second half but it proves too little too late

Kildare’s Sean McGovern and Jarleth Gilroy jump with Jack Sheedy of Dublin during the 1992 final
Photo: ©INPHO/Lorraine O’Sullivan

AFTER Mick O’Dywer’s first season in charge ended with a Division 1 league final defeat to Dublin and shock first round Championship defeat to a Stefan White inspired Louth, Kildare battled their way past Wicklow and Westmeath in 1992 to set up their first provincial final since 1978.

Once again it was Dublin in the way but in the end, it was a game that Kildare never looked like winning.

A crowd of over 60,000 saw Kildare stay with Dublin early on but once Keith Barr burst through the Kildare defence and found the net in the 22nd minute, the game swung decisively against them.

Niall Buckley, who ended the game with four points, scored Kildare’s sole point in the last 25 minutes of the half and with the score at the break 1-10 to 0-4 the game already appeared over as a contest.

Dublin only scored three points in the second half, a tally matched by Kildare substitute Paul McLoughlin after his introduction, but Kildare failed to take a number of goal chances that fell their way and in the end the game petered out for a comfortable Dublin win.

DUBLIN: J O’Leary; M Deegan, G Hargan, T Carr, P Curran 0-1, K Barr 1-0, E Heery 0-1; P Clarke 0-1, D Foran; C Redmond 0-5 (4fs, 1’45), J Sheedy, N Guiden, D Farrell 0-1, V Murphy 0-3, M Galvin 0-1. Subs: P Gilroy for Sheedy, 50; P Bealin for Foran, 54.

KILDARE: G Gannon; D Dalton, J Crofton, S Dowling, P McConnon, G Ryan, A Rainbow; S McGovern, N Buckley 0-4 (3fs); D Kerrigan, T Harris, B Fahy 0-1, M Lynch 0-1, J Gilroy, J McDonald 0-1. Subs: P McLoughlin 0-3 for Fahy, 43; N Donlon for Gilroy, 59; B Nolan for Dowling, 70.

REFEREE: Brian White (Wexford).



Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 045 432147

More Kildare Sport

Similar Articles

Flynn to miss league campaign