Wednesday, November 06, 2019

A LOCAL family have had to be put in emergency accommodation elsewhere in the county this week (1 November) after what they claim is an ongoing campaign of arson and assault by acouple of neighbouring families.

“I’ve lost three cars to them, that they’ve wrecked, in the last year-and-a -half,” said the mother of the family.

They are now living in one room in a B&B until the council can find a suitable replacement – but in the present housing the family is not holding its breath.

The family has been critical of the council and most of their elected representatives.

“I’ve told them up, down, inside-out, but they’ve just shrugged,” the woman said.

“I’ve spent a year-and-a-half trying to get an appointment with the TLO [tenant liaison officer].” After two ppostponments the person who came to meet with her “hadn’t a clue about my story,” she added.

“Bernard Durkan has a bit of oomph, but the rest are a waste of time. I’d say we’re in their bad books now!” joked the mother.

The family  moved in almost three years ago to the day, and she said the problems started within months.

The victim family  say they have had to endure a period of intimidation through verbal abuse and throwing rubbish onto their property.

She said this culminated in an arson attempt  where  her car window was  smashed  and an attempt made to set it on fire with a firework rocket.

She said this resulted in criminal charges, but the defendant left the jurisdiction before the case was heard.

She said in the aftermath of this, two of the family were then assaulted outside their home by a gang of “10 at least”.

This incident resulted in just one of the assailants receiving an adult caution, according to one of their victims.

This prompted the family to seek a move, however, the council had nothing suitable, and so they’ve ended up in an emergency B&B.

“I’m fit to kill. It’s just one stupid thing after another,” said the mother.

“The council are acting the maggot, and we’re stuck at the moment,” she said.

“They said they’d meet us at the [recently vacated] house on Monday morning, but they think they’d need gardaí to help,” she said.

“It’s basically only three families, but it [the estate] belongs to them,” she lamented.

The family has been council tenants around Dublin and Wicklow for most of the last 20 years . “We thought we’d be doing better by moving to the countryside, but it’s out of the frying pan and into the fire”.

“I’d nearly sooner pitch a tent. Everything’s scuppered,” she said.

Kildare Co Council was approached but a spokesperson said the council does not comment on individual cases.

Comments are closed.

By finian coughlan
Contact Newsdesk: 045 432147

More Kildare News