Thursday, September 24, 2020

Haven Hire SHC Round 2

ARDCLOUGH:                              2-13

By Eoin Beatty

A last gasp goal, deep into injury time, from Paul Fitzgerald snatched victory from the jaws of defeat for Ardclough against a spirited Éire Óg Corra Choill side in a chilly Manguard Plus Hawkfield on Wednesday evening.

Ardclough’s Paul Fitzgerald makes a run at the Eire Og Corra Choill defence during the Senior Hurling Championship game in Hawkfield           Photo: Sean Brilly

This truly was a game of two halves as Ardclough dominated the first, to lead by six points at the break, while Éire Óg turned the game on its head in the second period, to hold a one point advantage heading into the closing seconds of the clash.

Ardclough raced in to an early lead and went 0-4 to 0-0 in front, thanks to points from Tony Spain, Sean Whelan, Colum Buggy and Paul Fitzgerald respectively, however three frees and a 65 from Éire Óg’s number 12, Liam Dempsey, drew the sides level.

The first goal of the game came shortly after when Martin Fitzgerald played an
excellently weighted ball into the full-forward line, where Sean Whelan brilliantly caught the ball, turned his man, and buried it low into Paul Dermody’s net.

The two sides exchanged further points before the game saw its second goal, which, it has to be said, came against the run of play as Timmy Hennessy netted Éire Óg’s first score from play on the 22nd minute mark.

Ardclough finished the half just as they started it, with four points unanswered, this time courtesy of Declan Molloy, Johnny Reeves and Paul and Martin Fitzgerald to leave the score 1-10 to 1-4 at half time.

Éire Óg mounted a brilliant come back in the second 30 minutes and came within touching distance of victory. They outscored their opponents by 0-10 to 1-3, with Liam Dempsey scoring six of those points, all from frees, while Timmy Hennessy, Conor Kielty, Rory O’Neill and substitute Jack Higgins all raised white flags.

Ardclough lacked the cutting edge that they had shown in the first half and two
Martin Fitzgerald frees and a point from play from his brother Paul’s hurl was all they had to show on the scoreboard up until injury time.

Trailing by a point, the two Fitzgerald brothers combined just like they have done many times down through the years to come up with a vital score; Martin played a sideline cut into the danger area and Paul reacted quickest to rifle the ball home and cancel out all of Éire Óg’s previous hard work as Ardclough recorded a narrow two point win.

ARDCLOUGH: Ruairi ,Morrissey; Ben Redden, David Collins, Sean Buggy; Eoghan Walsh, Drew Costello, Kevin Sexton; Liam Hanley, Martin Fitzgerald 0-4 (2f); Tony Spain 0-2, Colum Buggy 0-1, Johnny Reeves 0-1; Paul Fitzgerald 1-3, Sean Whelan 1-1, Declan Molloy 0-1. Subs: Cillian Burke for Molloy, Fionn Kelly for C Buggy, Enda Duane for Reeves, Declan Molloy for Kelly.

ÉIRE ÓG CORRA CHOILL: Paul Dermody; Daniel Murray, James Dolan, Cormac Byrne; Paul Dolan, Kevin Connor, Danny Boyle; Niall Connolly, Garry Johnson; Michael Begley, Timmy Hennessy 1-1, Liam Dempsey 0-10 (9f, 65); Conor Kielty 0-1, Rory O’Neill 0-1, Barry Cormack. Subs: Jack Higgins 0-1 for Cormack, Murray O’Byrne for Begley.

REFEREE: Dave Coady

Contact Newsdesk: 045 432147

More Kildare Sport

Similar Articles

Sport In This Week’s Kildare Nationalist