Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Haven Hire SHC Round 3

Confey    3 – 9

Leixlip     1 – 11

By Pat Costello

THIS game, under lights in Kilcock on Wednesday night, turned on a somewhat crazy 90 seconds around the 53rd minute mark. Cian Bracken had just put Leixlip ahead, and deservedly so, with a free to see them lead 1-10 to 1-9.

Things were to turn for the worse for Leixlip from the puck-out. Confey won possession and fed Padraig Keegan and his speculative shot from 25 yards ended in the back of the net over the head of Lee Hogan in the Leixlip goals. Confey were on the attack again from the puck-out and this time corner forward, David Slattery, found the net for his second of the night and from a one point advantage  Leixlip now found themselves five points in arrears.

Worse was to follow still as before the puck out could be taken Referee, Raymond Kelly, approached the Leixlip keeper, Hogan, and showed him a straight red for what appeared to be some verbals after Slattery’s goal. The keeper then appeared to strike Kelly with the sliotar before leaving the pitch.

Kelly had a discussion with a Leixlip official before restarting the game. It was to be the end for Leixlip though even if they got the only score in the remaining minutes of the game, a pointed free from Bracken.

Exchanges were tight in the opening 12 minutes with the sides level on three occasions before Leixlip went 0-4 to 0-3 in front by the first half water break, a lead they were not to lose until the 53rd minute.

Immediately after the water break Darragh Melville struck for a great goal , after being set up by Cathal Derivan. This was followed in the 25th by a John Roche pointed free to give the Radley Park men a 1-5 to 0-3 lead. Confey rallied in first half injury time with a point from Paul Divilly and two (one free and one from play) from Keegan to leave two in it at the break with Leixlip leading 1-5 to 0-6.

Although Keegan got an early second half point, Derivan and Bracken quickly stretched Leixlip’s lead out to three points by the 34th min. The Cope Bridge men brought the game level for the 4th time a minute later when Slattery got through for his and his side’s first goal after hard work from Kieran Divilly.

Leixlip stretched the lead to two again and but a free and a 65 from Keegan had the side’s level for the 5th time in the 50th minute. Another Bracken free gave the men in maroon the lead again in the 52 minute only for all their good work to be undone in those crazy 90 secs a minute later.

Confey comfortably saw the game out against their 14-man rivals to take their second victory in the Haven Hire SHC Group stages.

CONFEY: Shane Quinn; Ronan McNamara, Sean Leamy, Fiachra Lynch; Anto Hoare, Niall Glennon, Kevin Chan; Paul Divilly 0-1, Aidan Ryan; Shane Lawless, Frank Bass, Eoin Lynch; Padraig Keegan 1-7 (4f, 1 ’65),  Kieran Divilly, David Slattery 2-1. Subs: Dom Lynch for E Lynch 27, Philip Quigley for Bass H/T, Kieran Kilbane for McNamara 55.

LEIXLIP: Lee Hogan; Cormac Keegan, John Doran, Brian Nicholson; Conor Burke, Jack Travers 0-2 (1f), Thomas Seale; Lorcan Shinnors, John Roche 0-1; Patrick Murphy, Cian Bracken 0-6 (4f), Aidan Ryan; Darragh Melville 1-1, Cathal Derivan 0-1, Diarmaid Shinnors. Subs: Stephen Ryan for Roche 39, Brian Kennedy for Aidan Ryan 48, Keith O’Callaghan for Lorcan Shinnors 54.

REFEREE: Raymond Kelly



Contact Newsdesk: 045 432147

More Kildare Sport

Seen – Unseen goes racing

Similar Articles