Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Haven Hire SHC Round 3


CELBRIDGE                            0-16

By Richard Commins

Éire Óg Corra Choill repeated their stunning win over Celbridge in last year’s competition as they pipped Ardclough on scoring difference to a place in the Haven Hire SHC semi finals at St. Kevin’s grounds on Tuesday evening.

It was clear from the start which team had the greater hunger, and it was not altogether a surprise given that Celbridge, who rested dual star Fergal Conway after his recent run of games, already were as good as through given their superior scoring difference.

Although the Caragh/Prosperous outfit looked sharper and more energised they struggled to make it count on the scoreboard in a first half in which both teams shot as many wides as scores.

Éire Óg Corra Choill had the better of the first quarter, noticeably winning most of the breaking ball, and deservedly led by 0-5 to 0-3 at the water break. Wing forward Liam Dempsey opened their scoring and Michael Begley, Paul Dolan, and Timmy Hennessy, the latter two with huge long-range efforts, added to another Dempsey free.

Jamie Connolly, Mark Moloney (free) and Conway’s excellent replacement Andy
Shanagher got the early Celbridge scores. The 2018 champions, despite conceding a lot of frees, came more into it in the run up to half-time with Shanagher adding another superb point before Niall O’Muineachain levelled things with a beauty.

Dempsey pushed the winners ahead again before their dangerous corner forward Conor Kielty fashioned the only real goal chance of the opening period forcing Michael Crowley to divert his shot over the bar.

Celbridge registered the last three scores of the half through two Moloney frees and a wonderful point from Kevin Murphy from his own half and it looked at that stage as if they had the most scope for second-half improvement.

Half-time: Celbridge 0-8 EOCC 0-7.

The victors had other ideas, however, and with Celbridge seemingly stuck to the ground Dempsey reeled off three more placed balls before Leo Quinn opened his account for The Blues.

The respite was temporary as Éire Óg Corra Choill went into overdrive. Dempsey drove home a 39th minute goal after good play by Kielty and the latter followed up with a point before Danny Boyle and Rory O’Neill stretched the lead to seven points with rousing efforts.

Quinn and Moloney gave Celbridge hope but un the 49th minute O’Neill fired home the second goal into the left-hand corner after more good approach play from Kielty.

Eight points was too big a gap for Celbridge although they scored five of the remaining six points through Quinn, Shanagher, the two Ó Muineacháins and Jack Higgins. Dempsey rounded off Éire Óg Corra Choill’s scoring. Tellingly, Celbridge did not create a goal chance of note on the night.

Sunday’s semi -finals will see two local derbies with Celbridge meeting Confey while Éire Óg Corra Choill face champions Naas.

ÉIRE ÓG CORRA CHOILL: Paul Dermody; Daniel Murray, James Dolan, Cormac Byrne; Paul Dolan 0-1, Kevin Connor, Danny Boyle 0-1; Niall Connolly, Garry Johnson; Rory O’Neill 1-1, Jack Higgins, Liam Dempsey 1-7 (6fs, 1 ’65); Conor Kielty 0-2, Michael Begley 0-1, Timmy Hennessy 0-1 Sub Used: Murray O’Byrne.
CELBRIDGE: Michael Crowley; Michael O’Donovan, Patrick Curtin, Seán  O’Sullivan; Kevin Murphy 0-1, Mark Moloney 0-4 (4fs), Niall O’Muineachain 0-2; Aaron Doran, Billy White; Leo Quinn 0-3, Andy Shanagher 0-3, Colman O’Donovan; Jamie Connolly 0-1, Patrick Leahy, Tom Finnerty. Subs Used: Fiachra O’Muineachain 0-1, Aidan O’Riain 0-1.

REFEREE: Niall Colgan

Contact Newsdesk: 045 432147

More Kildare Sport

Similar Articles

Sport In This Week’s Kildare Nationalist