19-year-old jailed for eight years for murder of Kerry father of seven

The now 19-year-old was among the men involved in the attack. He was 17 at the time of the offence.
19-year-old jailed for eight years for murder of Kerry father of seven

Olivia Kelleher

A young man who was found guilty of the murder of a Kerry father of seven who was viciously attacked by a group of men in a cemetery in front of his wife and young children has been jailed for eight years.

Five men were jailed for life in July of last year for the murder of Thomas Dooley (43) from Ballyspillane in Killarney.

He was killed whilst attending a burial at a cemetery of a local woman with his wife Siobhan and their young children. The men were armed with bladed weapons when they went to Rath cemetery in Tralee on October 5th, 2022.

The now 19-year-old was among the men involved in the attack. He was 17 at the time of the offence. The youth, who can’t be named for legal reasons, was found guilty of murder. Sentencing in his case was adjourned until Monday.

The five men who last year received the mandatory life sentence last year were the dead man’s 36-year-old brother, Patrick Dooley, of Arbutus Grove, Killarney, Co Kerry; his brother in law and cousin 43-year-old Thomas Dooley Snr and his cousin, 21-year-old Thomas Dooley Junior, both of the Halting Site, Carrigrohane Road, Cork and his 42-year-old cousin Daniel Dooley, of An Carraigin, Connolly Park, Tralee, Co Kerry.

The 19-year-old is the first person to be sentenced for murder since the recent change in the law in relation to juveniles and life sentences.

A child who commits murder but turns 18 before sentencing no longer faces a mandatory life sentence under legislation approved by Cabinet last year.

At a sentencing hearing in the Central Criminal Court in Cork on Monday, Ms Justice Mary Ellen Ring said that the youth was at the “higher end of childhood” when the “pre planned” murder occurred.

She said that the murder was in all likelihood planned by “older persons” and there was a level of “empathy” in the youth which was not present in the other co-accused.

The youth wrote a letter of apology to the Dooley family and expressed remorse for his actions. Ms Justice that whilst the offence was extremely grave a life sentence was not appropriate in this instance.

Ms Justice Ring stated that whilst the accused couldn’t be given the benefit of having pleaded guilty he had taken responsibility for his actions.

She described as an aggravating factor in the case that the murder took place in broad daylight and hadn’t occurred from “Dutch courage” after a day of heavy drinking. She said that Mr Dooley’s grandchildren would only know him through “pictures and trips to the graveside.”

Ms Justice Ring described the Dooley children as being a “credit” to Siobhan and her late husband whilst wishing her and her family “all the best” in life.

Ms Justice Ring said that the youth was doing well in custody and plans to complete his junior certificate having left school early. She jailed him for 11 years with the last three years suspended.

The teenager has been ordered to not have contact of any type with the Dooley family following his release from prison. He is bound to keep the peace and be of good behaviour for a period of three years following his release from custody.

He also has to follow all the directions of the probation service and undertake victim awareness courses upon his release from custody.

Defence barrister Jane Hyland, SC, previously said that her client was of a lower culpability in the case as compared to his other co accused who were older men.

She said that her client was armed with a baseball bat at the cemetery and was of “medium culpability” in relation to what had occurred.

The young man wrote a letter of apology for his behaviour. He said that he was “genuinely sorry” and wished he could “turn back time.”

A victim impact statement was previously read into evidence. Siobhan Dooley said that her husband died in a “horror show” attack.

Mrs Dooley said her life was turned upside down when her husband was stolen from his family in a barbaric attack.

“What me and my four children witnessed in the graveyard that day will never leave us.

The horror (the children) witnessed that day no child should ever see. I will never understand why Thomas was murdered in the most horrible way. He (Thomas) told me to run so I could be saved.

I want my children to be able to be children. I made a promise to Thomas the day we put him in the ground that we would get justice for him and we did. I am blessed to have my babies and my grand babies and we will always keep his memory alive.”

Mr Dooley said that Thomas was a ‘doting’ father who cried when he walked two of their eldest daughters down the aisle at their weddings. Mrs Dooley added that when Thomas became a grandfather his life was complete. However, he joked that he was a little young for the role.

“His children always came first. He was 100 percent a family man and a doting father. The children always had him wrapped around their fingers.

His grandchildren took over his life. It is fair to say he nearly favoured the grandchildren over his own children. He was just so proud and honoured to be a grand dad. “

The court heard that Mrs Dooley also sustained injuries in the attack. She received a foot-long wound to her shoulder, which required 45 stitches and 30 surgical staples.

A postmortem examination revealed that Mr Dooley received two stab wounds, one chop wound to the right arm, which was over 25 centimetres in length and an incised wound to the right thigh. He also had blunt force injuries and bruising.

More in this section

Kildare Nationalist